Mental Health First Aid Training
Our courses are a suite of internationally acclaimed and evidence-based training programs that empower and equip individuals with the knowledge, skills and confidence needed to support a friend, family member or co-worker experiencing a mental health problem or crisis (e.g. suicidal thoughts).
Many workplaces globally are realising the importance of managing mental health at work and recognising the benefits of creating mentally healthy workplaces. Mental Health First Aid® (MHFA™) training has been identified as one of the key strategies to lessen the impact of mental health problems on productivity and many workplaces use MHFA training as the foundation for their mental health strategy.
Standard Mental Health First Aid course
Mental Health First Aid International courses are based on population health and are rigorously researched, both in terms of the content that is included and evaluations of their effectiveness.
In the Standard Mental Health First Aid course, participants learn about the signs and symptoms of common and disabling mental health problems in adults, how to provide initial help, where and how to get professional help, what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective, and how to provide first aid in a crisis situation.
Standard Mental Health First Aid® course content
Participants will learn the practical skills to assist someone who is experiencing mental health problems or crisis such as:
Developing Mental Health Problems
- Recognise the signs and symptoms of mental health problems.
- Understand the risk factors associated with mental illness.
- Understand the prevalence and impact of mental illnesses.
- Understand the evidence-based interventions for mental illness.
- Understand the barriers to help seeking and how to overcome these.
- Learn what mental health first aid is and how to apply the Mental Health First Aid® ALGEE Action Plan.
- Learn how to assess and assist in a crisis.
- Practice applying mental health first aid skills.
- Learn the local resources available to someone experiencing mental health problems.
- Learn about the importance of self-care as a Mental Health First Aider.
Mental Health First Aid Licensed Providers
Mental Health First Aid International is the founding organisation and global authority on mental health first aid. We represent an international network of independent Licensed Providers working together to deliver practical mental health first aid training and education. Over the last two decades, over 5 million people world-wide have received Mental Health First Aid training from over 60,000 Accredited Instructors.
Course delivery in different countries
- The Standard Mental Health First Aid course is delivered either face-to-face, online via videoconferencing, or a combination of eLearning and face-to-face or videoconferencing components by locally accredited Mental Health First Aid® Instructors to participants. The cost and duration of each course in different countries vary due to location and Instructor fees.
- Staff based in different countries will need to attend a localised version of the Mental Health First Aid Program. We do not permit combining staff from different countries to attend a single Mental Health First Aid course.
- To deliver our accredited Mental Health First Aid training courses across multiple countries, workplaces will need to engage directly with individual Mental Health First Aid licensed providers situated in each country to organise localised training for their staff. Our Mental Health First Aid Licensed Providers are independently-run organisations that are professional and passionate about the Mental Health First Aid program. As per our License Agreement, Mental Health First Aid Licensed Providers may only deliver MHFA courses in their country or territory and nowhere else.
- Mental Health First Aid trained accreditation is only valid in the country where participants have trained and nowhere else.
Mental Health First Aid for Multinational Organisations eLearning course
Multinational organisations with staff based in countries without a Licensed Provider may be eligible to register for the Mental Health First Aid for Multinational Organisations eLearning course, which is a self-paced online course (non-accredited), consisting of 2 quizzes and 5 modules, that takes between 6-8 hours to complete.
The eLearning course is only available in the English language and costs AUD80.00 per enrolment (excl. GST), which is a subsidised rate that is valid until 31 December 2023.
This self-paced online course teaches the same mental health first aid skills but without the follow-up component led by an accredited Instructor where participants are able to ask questions and apply their learnings. The eLearning course includes generalised global health statistics and help-seeking information and has been designed to be suitable for employees at all levels of an organisation.
Course participants will receive a Certificate of Completion at the conclusion of the course and will have access to an online course manual within the eLearning program for a period of 12-months. Hard copy manuals may be purchased for AUD$16.00 each (excl. GST) plus postage costs.
Payment must be made before commencing the course.
Please note that this eLearning course is only available to staff based in countries without a licensed provider. Organisations will need to engage directly with individual Mental Health First Aid licensed providers situated in each country to organise localised training for their staff.
We acknowledge the leadership and commitment of multinationals seeking to include our accredited Mental Health First Aid Program as part of their employee health and wellbeing initiatives.
Send a Message
If you are a multinational organisation that would like to find out more about course delivery pathways for the Mental Health First Aid Program in your organisation or to find out if the Mental Health First Aid for Multinational Organisations eLearning course is right for your organisation, please send us an enquiry.